[wisb] UW Arboretum, Dane County, Feb. 17 & 18

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 21:37:08 -0600

On both Friday and Saturday I birded the UW Arboretum in the late afternoon.

On Friday my best birds were an adult Bald Eagle soaring over Curtis Prairie
and the Great Blue Heron still hanging out near the Big Spring.  I also saw
7 Wild Turkeys fly up into the white pine just northeast of the visitor's
center at 5:30pm.  It's not pretty but they get the job done.

On Saturday my best bird was a Northern Shrike at the top of a tree at the
eastern edge of Curtis Prairie.  The Great Blue Heron was tucked into the
left down at the Big Spring.

My eBird reports for both days are appended below.

Off topic:  I was in Mexico City for the last two weeks.  I didn't do any
birding but did notice that Inca Doves were quite common in the city.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson

Madison, Dane County

UW-Madison Arboretum, Dane, US-WI

Feb 17, 2012 3:45 PM - 5:25 PM

Protocol: Traveling

1.0 mile(s)

15 species

Canada Goose  53

Mallard  14

Wild Turkey  27

Great Blue Heron  1

Bald Eagle  1

Red-tailed Hawk  3

Great Horned Owl  1     Heard only, did not see.

Downy Woodpecker  1

Hairy Woodpecker  1

American Crow  6

Black-capped Chickadee  2