[wisb] 2 nICE treats in Oshkosh today Sat.

  • From: Paul Bruce <birdsandfish49@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 23:20:01 -0800 (PST)

For some crazy reason, I was dropped off to walk to work this afternoon at the
Witzel and Idaho
  connection,  walked to Taco John's for lunch, but on the way I had my tote
bag with me, binocs
included,  and had a standing moment to examine a good sized flock of gulls by
Campbell Creek.
Scanning,  I noticed one almost immediately,  a 1st yr.  Glaucous Gull,  then
no more than a few
minutes later found what I thought was, right away, a Thayer's!  And this is
the part where I know
I'll need backchanneling. The wing-tips both had very light-colored identical
marks, as in black tips
on a Herring, let's say.  Much lighter than a Thayer's, believing this bird to
be not just an ICELAND,
but the Kumlien's race.   What do any of you have to say about this?  Peter?
 T. Schultz? Daryl?
     The other pretty cool treat was seeing 10, if not 11 Bald Eagles at one
time over the west side
of town.  Even my daughters had stuff to say about that.  One of them tried to
get pics on her cell-
phone.  This has been quite an eagly day around town, 1 around home,.....2 of
them were also in
the that gull flock.
    Nothing more in the springlike dept.  Cardinals are still singing, house
finches, too. Soon to be geese,
cranes, maybe killdeer (wishfully thinking), etc.  Soon Mourning Doves will be
cooing.
    Get that spring blood flowing...........Good birding wishes, from
    Paul Bruce, Oshkosh