[wisb] Tree swallow nest abandonment and gnats

  • From: Mary Strasser <mrstrass@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 09:48:58 -0500

After reviewing likely causes of tree swallow nest abandonment sent to me by
WisBirders,  I think the reason adult tree swallows abandoned a nest of 5
pin-feathered chicks in my yard this weekend was due to gnat activity.  The
last few days I have noticed a new hatch of those pesky insects.  In the past
week, when I did see adult tree swallows peering out of their birdhouse, they
were shaking their heads as if flies were bothering them.  Perhaps gnats were
biting their chicks as well and weakened them to the point where they could not
gape when food was presented to them.
Thanks to all who responded to my question about possible causes for nest
abandonment by tree swallows!

Mary Strasser in southeast La Crosse
La Crosse County