[wisb] Re: Green Heron Location

  • From: Gloria Shiraef <shiraev@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 10:22:55 -0500

Up until 2 days ago, I had never seen a Green Heron and would have
said an easy 'no' to the question, but I spent time photographing one
on Saturday at the Dewey Street Retention Pond in Manitowoc. This is a
new pond, just completed late September of 2013.
The Green Heron was directly across the pond from our back yard, so
I'm guessing about 4-500 feet away? At first, by eye from that
distance, it looked like a cormorant. Imagine my surprise when I
zoomed in on it! I don't know how long it was there before I spotted
it at 1:00 pm, but it flew away 20 minutes later and I haven't seen it
since.

I am keeping a close eye on the pond, another first-time visitor was
there just the previous day, a female Hooded Merganser. Otherwise
normally all that's there are just a family of Canada Geese and 2
Mallard families, with a number of smaller birds (Killdeer, Spotted
Sandpiper, Tree Swallows and Barn Swallows, etc.). Oh, and at least 2
different Great Blue Heron make visits to the pond as well, such a
treat to have them around, but they have always frequented the area
even when it was just marsh.

Spring migration was interesting back there, though.

Nest regards-
Gloria Shiraef
Manitowoc City and County

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 11:36:30 -0500
Subject: [wisb] Green Heron Location
From: Aparna Sridhar <apar.sridhar@xxxxxxxxx>

I've been searching vainly for the Green Heron all spring and was only
able
to sight one in early may.  They must have completed nesting by now,
does
anyone know of a location where they've seen one recently?

Aparna Sridhar
Madison Wi