[wisb] Tomahawk Times

  • From: <tuttech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 2:52:51 +0000

Hi,
 I had the time to bird on Swamp Road which bisects the Bradley Swamp twice in
the past three days. One day it was absolutely still, the other had wind and
snow. This year I found almost nothing. In the higher areas around the swamp
there were two flocks of Chickadees, about 5-6 each.  One also contained one
nuthatch.  There were two groups of chickadees in the swamp itself, two birds
each.  There were about 4 Blue Jays in the swamp.  That is it.

 Now the reason I bother to tell you this is to report on the absence of Boreal
Chickadees.  Up untill two years ago they could be counted on.  Gray Jays, up
until last year I could find them about three times out of four attempts. Also
something that was interesting is that they responded differently to played
tapes.  If I was in my truck they would show some interest and make a bit of a
fuss.  When I was walking they totally ignored me.  The Blue Jays showed no
interest in the Gray Jay songs whatsoever.  Sometimes it seems they need a
certain number of birds in the flock to respond.  I wonder if any of you have
experiences like that?

  In Tomahawk itself I found a small flock of B. Waxwings today and some of the
most robust looking bull Robins I have ever seen.

 That is almost my total bird list for three days there.

Tom Uttech
Oz. Co.