[wisb] Re: My Mount Horeb & Sauk City CBC highlights, owling query & other observations

  • From: <tuttech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, agstutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 2:36:57 +0000

Hi,
Here are some thoughts on Aaron's questions.  I think owls are most vocal just
after dusk and just before dawn...much like all birds are most vocal at the
beginning and end of the day, only night is day to an owl.  The problem with
CBC owling just after dusk is human interference.  (At least there is a lot
less of this at 3 am.)  This is important because of the nearly undetectable
audio clues to an owls presence.
Having said that first, the question that Aaron raises about time is
interesting. If we exclude obvious owls like Great Horned and their tendency to
call at dawn and dusk, it would be interesting to keep records of call backs in
order to have actual facts to use. I like to concentrate on Saw-Whets and Long
Eared but I don't think I could pattern their call backs.  In the fall and
winter S.W. seem to respond to tapes with squeals or cat like me-ow sounds.  As
spring approaches they seem to sing more. I can't remember many times on a CBC
when they sang at all.  Usually you see them flying around your head or hear
them land on  a branch and then later, esp. if you shine a light on them will
they call (squeal), if you keep after them then they seem to begin to sing
more. Sometimes they will not sing at all until they no longer hear your tape.
(Long Ears vex me a lot because they don't seem to call back).
 Wind seems to be a factor for detecting them because it is so hard to hear
them land on a branch or things like that.  I also think my recording-broadcast
system is loud enough to over power the wind noises.  Maybe to an owl wind is
no issue, but to me it is.
 Although there is nothing like hearing a Saw-Whet singing across a swamp under
a full moon I am not at all sure how darkness affects our efforts to detect
them. John O'Donnel and I were working on our memories about this while we were
doing the Riveredge CBC and could not come up with an answer.  I do know that a
lot of my memories of success have been on dark nights.
Tom Utech
Oz.Co.