[wisb] Re: The bird question on Earth Worms in WI - native or non-native?

  • From: "Keith Lea" <kflea@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <erdmant@xxxxxxxx>, <amoretti@xxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:41:09 -0500

Nice topic, In biology class eons ago I had to bisect a nightcrawler, it was
messy, but revealing. We were told that the earthworm was the only animal
that could change sand or silica into water soluble form making it usable by
plant life immediately, its casting were excellent plant food and increased
the soils fertility, the earthworm feeds on humus, helping break it down
along with bacteria for use by plant life. Years later I read an article
about the British Soil Scientist removing a cubic foot of topsoil and
counting the number of earthworms as a measure of the soils fertility, they
were attempting through increasing humus and earthworms to increase soil
fertility. As for them being native or non-native, I assume, like our common
wildflowers of the north temperate zone they circle the globe where the soil
and water conditions allow. With the use of DNA we are learning a lot about
the wonders of this planet and its life forms that could only be guessed at
before from observation. While growing up I learned that the best place to
dig for my 'angleworms' was under a thick layer of mulch, they were larger
and more numerous.
Good Birding,
Keith F. Lea
Plover, WI, Portage County