[wisb] Snowy, Short-eared 6 Mile photos

  • From: <dkuecherer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 22:31:18 +0000

Hi:

Yesterday I drove out to Six Mile Road in Ozaukee Cty to see if any Snowy Owls
had showed up yet.  I found one within a tree top well away from the road.
North of County Rd D.

As I was leaving, now driving south, I found this Short-eared Owl on a fence
post leading into a residence. This about a quarter of a mile north of County
Rd A.  I took a photo when I first spotted it.  The first photo below.  Then I
drove closer for a few more photos.  This worked well, so I drove still closer
and closer.  The Owl never paid much attention to me except to look at me or my
vehicle.  I got so close that I had to take my extender off the camera to take
shots.  My final location was no more than 30 feet.  Any closer and I would not
have been able to photograph.  It changed positions on the post from time to
time but never flushed or flew off.  I was there for about one hour.  The
lighting changed off and on as I was there.  From overcast to full sun at
times.  I took about 140 flicks of which I have not gone over most of them yet.
 I picked a few to post.

King of neat to have an overlap of both species on the same day.

Short-eared Owl:  If you click on the first photo, you can then click next in
the upper right hand corner of the photo to see all the others by clicking next
each time, or just click on all the strings below.  Hope you enjoy.

From a distance -

http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/120476802

Closer -

http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/120476803

This one I enjoy the most so far
http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/120476804

Closer -
http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/120476805

This one gives a real nice look at the short tufts - looking right at me
http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/120476799

http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/120476806
http://www.pbase.com/gimpyshot/image/120476807

This was the day after the Riveredge Xmas count
Dennis Kuecherer, Ozaukee Cty, Saukville