[wisb] Eagle call

  • From: "Bill Bright" <brightw@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:35:31 -0600

Early this afternoon as I stepped out of my workplace and was walking across
the parking lot, I heard raptor-like calls and saw what very much appeared
to be an eagle on top of a utility pole with a large hawk close by but
flying away. The birds were at least 300-400 yards away.

The calls quickly became very loud and strident, almost gull-like, and very
clear and resonant, as the hawk sailed away. I reached into the car for my
binoculars but both birds had disappeared. Most surprising to me was how
loud and clear the calls were. I have heard red-tailed  hawks call from this
or nearby poles and I don't recall the volume being even close.

I have heard bald eagles and they seem to me somewhat strained, somewhat
hoarse and not particularly loud. I have not heard a golden eagle. The
sounds definitely did not sound like a red-tailed hawk.

Could these loud, relatively clear and gull-like cries be diagnostic for a
golden eagle? I checked the Macauley lab sounds for bald and golden eagles
and the sounds heard seemed to be closer to the golden eagle but the volume
of the cries at the distance I was from the bird was not reflected in the
sounds of the Macauley tapes.

Bill Bright
Iola, Waupaca County