[wisb] Re: Sandhills

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:14:13 -0600

I just came inside after counting at least 750 Sandhill Cranes flying in huge
flocks over my house on the southeast side - guess it finally occurred to them
that maybe now would be a good time to skedaddle to warmer climes.

Other birds seen while shoveling my driveway today:  a flock of Canada Geese, a
Ring-billed Gull, what was almost certainly a Herring Gull flying directly
ahead of a smaller flock of Sandhills this morning, a Cooper's Hawk a little
while ago, and the usual Juncos, House Sparrows, Am. Goldfinches, one Mourning
Dove, plus a Crow at or under the feeders.  What, no Tundra Swans flying over?!

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.