[wisb] Re: Radar tonight?

  • From: John H Idzikowski <idzikoj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 11:36:29 -0500 (CDT)

"If Indiana is  pushing north over the lake
at 11pm, can we expect our western lakeshore to show  good fallout in the
morning?"

One can quickly check the 1100 (6 a.m.)fallout pattern on any morning to see if
birds are over the Lake and heading to shore- below is the detection from this
morning- the targets over the Lake are birds- research has shown that if the
headwinds are not too strong birds make a decision when over Lake Michigan at
as far as 20 miles out to return to shore- if they are farther out they will
fly on to Michigan which they can see from their flight height of roughly 1500
feet-

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar/displayRad.php?icao=KMKX&prod=bref1&bkgr=black&endDate=20090506&endTime=11&duration=0

Here are the peak reflectivity values- densities (11 p.m.-1 a.m.) for Sullivan
radar since the night of the 1st- 21 15 21 26 23 and 23; LaCrosse is very
similar and Green Bay has been slightly less as might be expected as swarms
build northward. We are still well away from the big night (nights?) of 30+
which I will not call as we are entering a period of a series of complex lows
and cold fronts, but I would venture that this weekend and early next week will
be very good- which is not saying much as datewise this period always has been
productive.

John I
Mke