[wisb] Re: RFI: Tree swallows abandoning 5 nestlings

  • From: Peter Dunn <pdunn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: mrstrass@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 12:19:48 -0500

Hi
If one of the parents is killed by a predator, particularly the female, then
they are likely to abandon the nest.  The other behavior that people often ask
about is infanticide.  If you find that all of the nestlings disappear shortly
after hatch, then it is likely there is a new male at the nest and he is
removing the chicks.  This may lead to renesting with the same female.  Lions
and some primates do the same thing; it’s just less obvious with little
nestlings.
This year has been pretty good for swallows in Saukville (near West Bend).  We
have not had any big 'die-offs' of nestlings due to weather (usually the first
week of june as they hatch), just the occasional strange things like
abandonment and infanticide that Mary mentions.
Best,
Peter

Peter Dunn
Professor