[wisb] RFI: Tree swallows abandoning 5 nestlings

  • From: Mary Strasser <mrstrass@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 10:47:55 -0500

I had a nest with 5 new tree swallow hatchlings early last week.  In the last
couple days, I noticed that the adult swallows were not around much.  Last
evening, before a storm rolled through, I saw an adult swallow peering out of
the birdhouse entry hole and shaking its head a lot.  I was concerned because
last year I lost a brood of tree swallows in a different birdhouse.
I checked the swallow nest this morning and found 5 dead pin-feathered chicks.
They were blanketed with a cover of white feathers.  Upon examining the nest, I
found no signs of blowfly infestation, but did find several carrion beetles
inside the birdhouse.  There were no marks indicating injury on any of the
chicks.

The birdhouse is a standard bluebird house with a baffled post to guard against
predators.  The birdhouse entry faces northwest.  Our yard is about half mowed
lawn and half natural meadow/prairie.  There is a wooded edge at the rear of
our property.  The neighborhood is semi-rural, with a couple of farms and a
housing subdivision with very large lots.  There is ample natural habitat in
the area.

What would cause the adult tree swallows to abandon an active nest with 5
chicks?  We have had a few days with rain, but not for extended periods of
time.  It was hot a couple of days in the past week, but moderate temperatures
were more prevalent.

Are there any ideas as to why the nest was deserted by the adults?

Mary Strasser in southeast La Crosse
La Crosse County