[wisb] Re: RFI - Birds getting into engine compartment - some solutions

  • From: Madison Audubon Society <masoffice@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: masoffice@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:43:07 -0600

Here's a compilation of advice (thanks, everyone!) just in case any of
you encounter this problem in the future:
1). As soon as he pulls into the drive and gets out of the truck, he
should prop the hood all the way open.  This will make the engine
compartment much less warm and secure.  After dark, he should be able to
from their alternate night-roost.  OR...

2). Use a bright, mechanic's trouble-light or a Holiday flood light to
illuminate the engine compartment from the inside or from below.

3). He may wish to try parking the truck elsewhere (e.g. in the street)
temporarily.  This may get the birds to abandon this roost and develop a
habit of roosting elsewhere.

4). The ultrasonic bird repellers are kinda' pricey and I have not heard
from anyone who has tried them, so can't comment on them.

More than one person suggested opening the hood immediately to cool the
engine and take the "roof" away.

Other suggestions were to:

* drape the truck with a vehicle tarp [although sparrows would likely
sneak in through any small gap]
* sprinkle a little bloodmeal on the ground where he parks the truck
(this repels rabbits, not sure about birds)
* trap the sparrows
* put a noisemaker of some sort - a radio should do the job - under the
hood of the truck when it's not in use [remember to take it out before
driving!]
* provide alternative roost sites in the immediate area by planting
shrubs or putting up a roost box nearby
* clean the garage [!]

I will ask him to report back and let us know if and how these potential
solutions work.

Thanks again for all your input,
Karen