[wisb] Re: Private Grasslands Birding Opportunity in Columbia County

  • From: Madison Audubon <karen.etter.hale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 14:18:06 -0500

For those of you unfamiliar with the Priskes and their Fountain Prairie
Farms, they were pioneers in farming sustainably. They spent years
transforming a "sea of corn" to restored wetland and tallgrass prairie,
on which they graze Highland beef cattle (the cattle will be in a
different, fenced part of the farm!). For more, see
http://www.fountainprairie.com/
Besides entering your data into eBird if you visit, I would encourage at
least some of you to do a "survey" of birds on the grasslands, down to
the edge of the wetlands. John thought this would be fairly easy to do
by making one trip down the middle of the grasslands (which he will mow
if he knows someone's coming).

John thought this would be an especially good opportunity for new
birders to see Bobolinks and other grassland birds close up and to see
that sustainable farming can be compatible with bird conservation.

The farm is 5 miles NW of Columbus, just west of Fall River.

Karen

Karen Etter Hale

Chair, Wisconsin Bird Conservation Initiative

Citizen Science Coordinator, Madison Audubon Society

NEW: 1400 E. Washington, Suite 170

Madison, WI 53703

608/255-BIRD (2473) x 222

NEW: Karen.Etter.Hale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx