[wisb] Possible Eastern Phoebe (Sheboygan Co.), Snowy Owl (Washington Co.)

  • From: tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:01:18 +0000 (UTC)

Hi everyone,
I just talked to a wildlife student who graduated from UW-Stevens Point a
couple of years ago. She told me that she observed a probable Eastern Phoebe on
Friday, February 24th in Sheboygan County. The location was at the intersection
of Highway 23 and Highway U. She said that it was perched on a little shrub on
the side of the road, which was about 1/4 mile from an open creek. Observations
about the bird include the following: fluffed out, body smaller than fist.
flicking tail. gray above, tawny below on belly. She knew that it wasn't a
Northern Shrike and I am pretty confident in her identification. If anyone is
in that area, it may be worth a check.

I also received a report of a Snowy Owl in Slinger (Washington County) on
Sunday, February 26th at 11:30am. The location was along Highway 41, near the
intersection with Highway(?) 144. This is by Big Cedar Lake and the Slinger
Speedway. I don't know if this individual has been reported yet, as there have
been numerous Snowy Owl reports this year. I figured I would share it either

I heard and observed two Common Ravens at the Sandhill Wildlife Area in Babcock
(Wood County) on February 25 and 26. I believe these birds have been here for a
while, as I remember seeing/hearing them there in Winter 2010. I also heard and
saw two male Purple Finches there.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Stevens Point, Portage Co.