[wisb] Re: Identification of Raven/Crow and Gull, and Pine Grosbeak photos

  • From: Sidney Hamm <sidney.hamm@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 21:31:29 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,
I have gotten several responses, and this is the present consenses:

The Raven is an American Crow. I was definetly convensed by:

Nancy Richmond
Polar      Langlade Co.I agree now that I have never seen a Raven, but what I
saw was a very large mean looking Crow with some mistaken Raven characteristics
from an older Petersons Field Guide.
The consenses is that what I thought was a Pine Grosbeak is not, however there
is a mixture of opinion on whether it is a House or Purple Finch.The photo
shows no dark stripes on the sides or belly tending to a Purple Finch, but the
head appears more like a House Finch.
I have received no good consenses on the Gull Type. From the pink legs it could
be Herring, Iceland, or Glaucous, but to me it appears to light coloring to be
an immature Herring (what I have seen are darker). Any other opinion from the
Gull birders. So far I have only gotten Herring and Ring Billed, and a laying
down Iceland for my actual comparisons.

Thanks again,

Sid Hamm     Muskego    Waukesha County