[wisb] Picnic Point, Madison, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 21:10:05 -0500

Over the weekend numbers of Baltimore Orioles returned to Picnic Point.  It's
great to have them back.  It adds so much color to the bare tree branches and
the emerging green leaves.  I saw two males jerkily posturing for the favor of
a female.  I've seen woodpeckers and flickers moving this way but never
Baltimore Orioles.  It's always fun to observe new behaviors.

Also back are Warbling Vireos in the cottonwoods and willows along University
Bay and on the Point.

At the pond on the north side of Picnic Point there were numerous Yellow-rumped
Warblers and Palm Warblers.  I also saw 2 Northern Waterthrushes, 2 Yellow
Warblers and 1 Common Yellowthroat Warbler.

My biggest hit of the day, however, was three FOYs within a few feet of each
other: an American Redstart, a Lincoln Sparrow and a Mourning Warbler.  What
luck!

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson

Madison, Dane County