[wisb] Paradise Valley SWA ~ Waukesha Co.

  • From: Andrea Szymczak <harrierhawk1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 10:38:12 -0500

This newer state land acquisition in western Waukesha Co. is part of the
Southern Kettle Moraine.  The best of the three parcels of the Paradise
Valley SWA is the Bark River Unit and occupies a farm formerly owned by the
Kincaid family.  Information is available online if you do a Google
search.  Tom & I have checked the area about a half dozen times since March
and it's always been interesting.  Noteworthy concentrations of N Pintail
and several other duck species, the largest flock of Lapland Longspurs I've
ever seen, and my personal "late" Rough-legged Hawk have been past
highlights.
Yesterday, we stopped over there late afternoon and still found some nice
birds including:
DUNLIN
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER
LEAST & SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS
SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS
N PINTAIL
A WIGEON
GR-WINGED TEAL
N SHOVELER
RUDDY DUCK
BLACK TERNS
SORA
VIRGINIA RAIL
A scope is necessary, as is travel on foot.
Andrea Szymczak
Waukesha, WI