[wisb] Northern Hawk Owl

  • From: Dan Belter <bwhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 19:33:35 -0600 (CST)

After seeing the report about the Northern Hawk Owl that Nancy Richmond
reported just north of Rhinelander yesterday, I decided to take a drive up
there and look for it this morning. As I came up onto the area that it was seen
in, I passed an "Adopt-a-Highway" road sign just to the north of the
intersection of Hwy 17 and County Road W, and immediately saw the owl sitting
on top of this sign. I turned around and went back and pulled along side this
sign, but on the opposite side of the road. I sat there for a minute or two,
taking a few photos before I saw some oncoming traffic and decided to pull off
the highway onto County Road W.

A little while later, I was looking at the bird sitting on top of a Fir or
Spruce tree and again right along side the highway. I was on the other side of
the road and about 50 or so yards away when Kay Kavanagh and her husband pulled
up. Then a few minutes later, Mary Backus also came along and all of us had
great looks at this bird. Mary and I took some more photos as well. At one
point as we were watching it, it took off out of this pine tree and flew right
by us (within 10 feet) and landed on our side of the road close to us.

As Nancy said in her message yesterday, I also hope this bird doesn't get hit
by a car either. This bird seems to like being next to the road. I'm also
wondering how many more Hawk Owls might be present in the state right now, I
know I'll be keeping my eyes more alert. Below is my Flickr.com site that I
posted two photos I took of this bird today. Enjoy the photos.

www.flickr.com/photos/bwhawk/sets/72157622994985140/detail

Dan Belter
Weston, Marathon Co., Wisconsin