[wisb] Nine Springs (Dane co.) tonight

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 21:56:08 -0500

Dan Doeppers and I led a Madison Audubon field trip to Nine Springs tonight.
While it was a beautiful evening, we didn't get quite as many birds as Max had
earlier, but it was hard to complain with light winds and no mosquitos.  As we
walked down the bike path to the entrance to the lagoons, a NO. PARULA WARBLER
was singing from across the street, and a few of us heard and saw a
CHESTNUT-SIDED in the woods along the path.  We also had a pair of NO.
WATERTHRUSHES once we got on the other side of the woods.  Our only vireo was a
WARBLING right inside the entrance - also had PALM, YELLOW & COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT, plus a heard-only AM. REDSTART.

Not as many shorebirds as I had hoped - L. YELLOWLEGS, SPOTTED, LEAST &
SOLITARY SP, SEMI-PALMATED PLOVERS, and several WILSON'S PHALAROPES, plus one
SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER and a couple of WHITE-RUMPS that only a few people got a
look at before they vanished.  A pair of GREEN HERONS gave great looks (one
perched in a tree so we could get a scope on it for folks.)  Waterfowl were
both TEAL, NO. SHOVELERS, GADWALL, RUDDIES, and a female HOODED MERGANSER in
the south channel (plus Mallards and Canadas, of course - we missed the G.
White-front.)  An OSPREY flew over, and some folks saw a COOPER'S HAWK fly by.
A MARSH WREN was fairly cooperative and many got to see it.  A bit of a
surprise was no terns and only a couple of Ring-billed Gulls.  As the sun set,
close to 20 SANDHILL CRANES flew in to roost, with more coming.  When we got
back to the parking lot, a WOODCOCK was peenting and easily visible right in
the middle of the E-Way hiking trail.  Several of us watched him until it
finally got dark enough for him to take off and display overhead.  A really
nice end to a lovely evening.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.