[wisb] Rock - Dane birds today

  • From: Andy P <andypaulios@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 19:57:09 -0700 (PDT)

HI FOlks,

My Natural Resources Foundation trip to Avon Bottoms was a bit windy and the
water was very high, but we managed to see some good birds.  Early Prothonotary
nests are in full swing.  A number of boxes had eggs including one box with a
female brooding a full clutch (5 eggs).  THis is a much earlier date than the
Atlas reports (by my reading).

Also seen/heard: Cerulean Warbler at Nelson Road boat landing, Blackburnian,
Black-throated Green, Golden-winged (common this spring), Black-and-white,
Chestnut-sided, Nashville, Tennesee, Yellow, waterthrush, ovenbird, parula,
yellowthroat and numerous redstarts.  Pewees seemed to have moved in along with
more red-eyed vireos.  One Red-shouldered Hawk was heard near the Beloit-Newark
road boat landing.

Tonight while biking home (working on green big year) I saw a flock of 140+
Black Terns on Lake Waubesa.  Easily the biggest flock I've ever seen.  Also
numerous Common Nighthawks.

Andy P.
McFarland, WI