[wisb] Neenah and Menasha

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 15:34:20 -0600

I checked the Neenah/Menasha areas this afternoon.  Easily 2000+
Herring Gulls were present in the combined areas.  Unfortunately the
only other gulls were 15 Glaucous (all ages) and 3 Great Black-backed
(2 ads and 1 3rd yr).
Perhaps more interesting is that some migrant ducks are beginning to
appear at these sites.  While the numbers are only a few to several,
it is nice to see that the migration is beginning up here.  While
Canvasback, Ring-necked Duck and Lesser Scaup wintered (2, 1 and
about 15 respectively), there are now 4, 4 and 25 respectively.  Also
present were the wintering Ruddy Ducks (12), Greater Scaup (1) and
Coots (10) plus Trumpeter Swans and Cormorants.  In addition there
are now 3 Gadwalls when we had none during January.  (2 have been
present earlier this month.)

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI