[wisb] My Buff-breasted Sandpiper sighting in Milwaukee

  • From: Jennifer Ambrose <jenthreat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birders <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 20:35:47 -0500

Hello, everyone!
This evening, after viewing the Western Sandpiper again, I decided to stop
by the CGI because the clouds and sky looked amazing. I wanted to take some
photos. When I pulled in, I noticed either a rainbow or the other
phenomenon similar to a rainbow. I was focused on photographing it. As I
drove in, though, I noticed several killdeer in the grass, so I drove
slowly and checked them all.

One of the birds looked ghostly pale in comparison and was walking
differently, bobbing its head a bit and strutting like a chicken. I did a
double take, then turned the car around. I knew I had something cool, but I
was delighted to see that it was a Buff-breasted. I've seen them a few
other times, but not so close and randomly.

Unfortunately, it was starting to get dark, so my photos aren't great.
However, it was still such a cool sighting. I got to watch it pull out and
eat a worm, even! I may stop back there tomorrow morning since I live so
close to the CGI and I will definitely report if I see it again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49427613@N03/sets/72157635496046425/

Have a great night!
--
Jennifer Ambrose