[wisb] Moose/Milwaukee lakefront

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 21:55:35 -0500

First of all, since someone saw a moose, just thought I'd post that the DNR
collects sightings of several rare mammals and publishes an annual annotated
report with a map.  Check out this link where you can report sightings of moose
and other rare mammals.  http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/forms/rare_mammal.asp
By the way, we also had a North Country Trail hiker report a cow moose this
summer a few miles west of Pattison State Park on Dedham Rd. in Douglas Co. in
August.  No photo unfortunately. Second, my son Oliver and I headed to
Milwaukee lakefront today.  We did the loop around Lakeshore State Park.  Lots
of horned grebes there, many many coots (most numerous species), and also one
each of cormorant and red-breasted merganser (the latter seemed to be tagging
along with two geese).  In the area I also saw some juncos and a lone savannah
sparrow.  Having heard about the scoters (I'm not too experienced with ducks) I
did drive up toward Bradford Beach and as I got north of the beach I did spot a
small group of dark-looking ducks, several with white wing patches.  But from
the road that's about all I could say from a brief look through binoculars with
a tired 3 year old yelling at me from the back seat.  Any thoughts on whether
this was them? I also went to Vernon Marsh yesterday.  I guess you're not
supposed to go to the Figure 8s now but near there I did have some yellow-eyed
blackbirds but I was on the wrong side of the sun so I couldn't get a good look
and then they moved further down.  Are Brewer's vs. Rusty mostly told apart by
sound or time of year in fall?  These only were making some soft chuts.  Also
several species of sparrows in the Greenwing dike area, but not too much else
that I could see, not even a marsh wren though I didn't go all the way up. Any
insights appreciated, thanks, -Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.