[wisb] Re: Horicon shorebirds today - Goose Pond

  • From: "Mark and Sue Martin" <goosep@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 20:49:40 -0600

Hi
Lester Doily was at Goose Pond today helping visitors identify birds.
Lester counted many of the species and  I counted mallards and geese when
they returned from field feeding just before dark.
Our totals - 2,050 Canada geese,- ??? Cackling geese (some part of the 2,050
geese); 1,000 Mallards; 2 Wigeons; 10 Gadwalls; 3 Canvasbacks; 2 Lesser
Scaup; 15 Ringnecks; 10 Black Ducks; 31 Pintails; 50 Ruddy Ducks; 2
Buffleheads; 40 Green-winged Teal; 400 American Coots; 10 Pied-billed
Grebes; and 2 Sandhill Cranes.

The time to see mallards and geese returning to Goose Pond is about 1/2 hour
after dark on a clear night.

Lester and other MAS volunteers will be at the Pond next Sunday afternoon
from 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. helping visitors  identify waterfowl.

Mark Martin
Goose Pond
Arlington