[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront- 7 gull sp

  • From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 20:14:19 -0600

Had a great afternoon birding the Milwaukee with Tim
Hahn, Corey Raimond, and Lindsey Boland. On my way to Milwaukee at Johnson
Creek I saw an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull with the small group of Herrings
in the field next to Kohl's.

At the McKinley Marina we had some of the best gulling I've experienced at one
spot in Wisconsin. A total of 7 species were present including an adult and
juvenile Great Black-backed, 3 adult Lesser Black-backed, a frosty first-winter
Iceland, 2 immature and one adult Glaucous, and 2 adult Thayer's-- one heavily
streaked and one lightly streaked with the classic dovelike head. We added
another adult Thayer's at North Point and another immature Glaucous at the
ferry dock breakwall.

Other highlights from the day included a young male Long-tailed Duck in fairly
close at the Petroleum Pier (undoubtedly the same bird that was at Lakeshore
State Park last weekend) and the Snowy Owl at the Coastguard Impoundment. The
Snowy had blood all over its face, hopefully that of its previous prey and not
its own.

We couldn't find the Harlequin Duck at North Point or anywhere else

Tom Prestby

Madison