[wisb] Arlington area birds (Columbia Co.)

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 21:13:19 -0600

Interesting how much difference a week makes...  Last Sunday, on my way from
Madison to Oshkosh via Hwys 151 & 26, I had multiple Red-tails and Kestrels all
along the highway.  Today, at a similar time of day and under similar weather
conditions (cold, mostly sunny and windy,) I only had ONE each Red-tail and
Kestrel on the way up, although I did have a Rough-leg hovering over the side
of the highway just before I crossed from Dane into Columbia County.  Also only
had a couple more Red-tails on the more circuitous route back later this
afternoon.

I took a lot of smaller roads on the way back to Madison, hoping to see some
"field birds", but only was kicking up scattered pairs of Horned Larks.  I was
close to Arlington, so went past the farm north of town on Bullen Rd., but
didn't see any Eurasian Collared Doves there.  However, in town, there were 14
of them in a tall tree near Firemen's Park, so it pays to try more than one
spot.  Goose Pond was quiet, but I finally found a flock of about 3 dozen
Lapland Longspurs on Kleinert Rd. just northeast of Morrisonville (looks like
Kleinert Rd. is entirely in Columbia Co., which I had wondered about. It's
always tricky around Morrisonville because of a jog in the Dane/Columbia county
line there.)

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co. (I think...)