[wisb] Owls and more @ B.V. Grasslands (Portage Co.)

  • From: tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 00:31:40 +0000 (UTC)

I got to lead a group of UW-Stevens Point students on a Raptor Road Survey
through Buena Vista Grasslands (south of Plover) this afternoon/evening. Here
are the highlights:

-Short-eared Owls (5 total; 4 in one foraging group and a lone bird at another
site; seen between 5:15pm and 5:30pm)

-Snowy Owl (young male seen from 4:15pm to 4:35pm at same site as where I last
saw him a few weeks ago: just south of the intersection of Swamp Road and
Townline Road, on the west side of Townline Road. The intersection is about a
mile south of C-R W.)

-Rough-legged Hawks (11 at scattered locations; two of these were dark morphs)

-Bald Eagles (3 juveniles at various spots, at one point one was in a thermal
with a R-L Hawk)

-Northern Harrier (1)

-Red-tailed Hawks (only two)

-Horned Lark (1)

-Wild Turkeys (approximately 100 birds)

It was great to expose students to these birds! I think they got tired of the
Rough-legged Hawks after a while...and their favorite bird of the day was the
Snowy Owl. We got awesome looks of him through the spotting scope! He didn't
let us approach too closely though, but I talked to another birder who was
within 20-ish feet of the same bird on a different day.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Stevens Point, Portage Co.