[wisb] Milwaukee County today

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:26:34 -0500

High winds today concentrated the migrants in the ravines and in sheltered
areas below the bluffs along the Lake Michigan shoreline (although I noticed
Jennifer Ambrose this morning and Andrea Szymczak yesterday both had good
luck on the bluff at Sheridan Park, I saw nothing there this afternoon.

There were many birds down by the lake.)

I birded Veterans Park, Lake Park, Shorewood Nature Preserve, Sheridan Park,
and Warnimont Park.

Highlights:

Personal first of the season sightings for the county were Rusty Blackbird,
Hermit Thrush (has replaced Swainson's Thrush as the most abundant Catharus
thrush ),Ruby-crowned Kinglet (nice photos, Jennifer),White-crowned Sparrow,
and Dark-eyed Junco.

I saw fourteen species of warblers including Black-throated Blue, Cape May,
and N. Parula. I possibly saw a Connecticut Warbler in Sheridan Park, but it

was a one second look, not good enough to count. The phenomenon that
occurred during the last week is the arrival of huge numbers of
Yellow-rumped

Warblers. At Shorewood, the combination of strong lake surges that has
flooded the beach beneath the willows, and the wind blowing insects and
birds

to the willows, had the willows dripping with Yellow-rumped and Palm
Warblers.

I know there are Turkey watchers in the county and there were four at
Shorewood Nature Preserve this morning.

Thomas C. Wood,Menomonee Falls,Waukesha County