[wisb] Milwaukee County today

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 18:24:09 -0500

I visited a few of my favorite spots today in the county. I saw nothing that
hasn't been seen elsewhere in the state, but still had a pretty good day.
The
highlights were (FOY indicates personal first-of-year):

Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers (FOY)- many. Lake Park and Seminary Woods were the
best.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (FOY)- a few at Lake Park, Seminary Woods, and Sheridan
Park.

Field Sparrows (FOY)- 2 at Lake Park and 2 east of the Veteran's Park
lagoon.

Chipping Sparrows (FOY)- 2 at Lake Park.

Winter Wrens - 3 at Lake Park in Lion's Bridge Ravine, 1 at Seminary Woods.

Hermit Thrush- Several at Seminary Woods and a couple at Lake Park.

Brown Thrasher- 1 east of Veteran's Park lagoon.

Brown Creeper- abundant at every stop. They could not have been missed
today.

Yellow-rumped Warblers- Common at Seminary Woods (20-30?) and a few at
Sheridan Park and 1 at Lake Park.

Golden-crowned Kinglets- also abundant.

Black Scoter- 1 male from the bluff at Sheridan Park.

Horned Grebes- at least 3 from the bluff north of Sheridan Park.

Eastern Towhee- at least 3 on the bluffs below Sheridan Park.

Eastern Phoebe- at least 1 at every stop and all singing.

Northern Flickers- abundant. At one point in Lake Park,  5 flew up from
alongside the trail while several were on nearby trees.

I also saw a probable Lesser Black-backed Gull flying past the bluff at
Sheridan Park, but I didn't get enough on it to eliminate the improbable
California Gull.

Conspicuous by its absence- Fox Sparrow. I've had a couple hanging around
the condo property where I live, so I expected to see them in Milwaukee
County, but didn't see even one!

The path closed sign is still up at Shorewood Nature Preserve.

Thomas Wood,Menomonee Falls,Waukesha County