[wisb] Menahsa, Neenah, Sheboygan

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 15:01:15 -0600

I spent several hours covering the two lakes and the Fox River in
Neenah/Menasha.  Spots checked included Jefferson Park in Menasha,
Jones Island and Kimberly Pt in Neenah.  There is an excellent
variety and number of diving ducks in these locales, plus other
birds.  Highlights included 1 Snow Goose (adult Blue), 40+ Cackling
Geese and of course numerous Canadas;  4 swans were out on the ice
off Jefferson Park (unfortunately they spent most of the time
sleeping, but the few times they raised their heads and preened they
appeared to be Trumpeters (2a and 2 i);  1000s of Mallards and Common
Goldeneyes, 2 Gadwalls, 1 Pintail (male), 3 Canvasbacks (males), 35
Redheads, 2 Ring-necked Ducks (males), 2 Greater Scaup, 75 Lesser
Scaup, 3 Long-tailed Ducks (unusual but lately almost every early
winter they are present for a while), 3 Buffleheads, 150 Ruddy Ducks
plus Black Ducks and Common Mergansers.  In addition there were 12+
Double-cr. Cormorants and 3 Am. Coots.
A swing over to Sheboygan yielded lots of wave action out of the
northeast which limited beach area.  Present were 5 Great Black-
backed, 2 Glaucous and 1 Thayer's Gulls plus the usual two.  The
female Harlequin Duck is back, spending time by the first pier and
towards the parking lot actively feeding.  Also in this latter area
was Pete's Dunlin working among the few exposed rocks by the beach
with the gulls and ducks.

And last my Hermit Thrush is still around as it appears at the heated
bird bath.  Otherwise I do not see it when it is feeding on the
crabapple berries---too many trees with limited visibility from the
house.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI