[wisb] Langlade and Forest County birding; Hawk ID help needed

  • From: Jennifer Ambrose <jenthreat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birders <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 13:08:56 -0500

Hello everyone,
Last week, I visited Langlade and Forest Counties. My second cousin lives
in Pickerel, so were were there, and in Wabeno, outside of Crandon, and in
Antigo (and Post Lake).
I saw FEW birds--but heard quite a few. Heard only included E Wood-Peewee,
Ruffed Grouse, Hairy Woodpecker, Yellow Warbler, Black-throated Green
Warbler, and many more common birds.

Birds I saw included: Alder Flycatcher (It said FREE BEER! FREE BEER!),
several Eastern Kingbirds, only two Common Loons far out from Veteran's
Memorial Park, a few eagles, all pretty high up/far away, a few American
Redstarts (and I found a nest!!! How cool!), two Chestnut-sided Warblers,
some Chipping Sparrows, robins, Trumpter Swans, two Northern Harriers,
grackles, etc. We had a fleeting glimpse of a Pileated, only seeing its
back/white feathers.

I did not see a single Rose-breasted Grosbeak or Indigo Bunting. We saw
only one male Purple Finch. We also SAW only one chickadee. We did not see
ANY ducks besides a FEW mallards and we checked many
ponds/lakes/rivers/flowages--I'm guessing that most birds were nesting.

The coolest mammal sighting was a mink that had just caught a turtle off
the Springbrook Trail in Antigo (a really nice trail--I bet it was hopping
a few weeks earlier). Otherwise, we just saw several deer and two muskrats.
No fawns or bears or anything else of note.

When we were going to the Knowles Creek Impoundment (beautiful, but dead
except for the two swans and lots of dragonflies and mosquitoes, and ticks!
EW), we turned down the wrong road at first and the hawk pictured at the
link below flew in front of our car and perched. Is it a young
Broad-winged? I am terrible at young hawks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49427613@N03/14361220866/

Thanks,

--
Jennifer Ambrose