[wisb] Re: ID help with two birds I saw in Chicago this week

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 21:54:49 -0500

Hi David-
The warbler appears to be a Tennessee. It has a gray cap, plain white
underparts, white supercilium, and barely visible wingbars, all which fit a
Tennessee. Very little of the undertail can be seen, but what is showing
appears white, not yellow as would be seen on an Orange-crowned.
The other two photos are of a Dark-eyed Junco. It appears to be a first year
bird. I can see why you might think it was the Oregon subspecies by the hood
shape, but seeing how it is a young bird, and there are intermediates
between Slate-colored and Oregon Juncos, I am reluctant to pin a subspecies
on this bird.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County