[wisb] Hummer Rescue - Backyard

  • From: Swanson <elaineseverin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 22:00:15 -0700 (PDT)

Great weather for working outdoors - but one little hummer was hugging the
feeder today -  drinking from each port, then perching on the grapevine wrapped
around the feeders for tiny feet.  A great chance to photograph the creature
preening, resting, and darting out at any other hummer who approaches - or the
occasional bee.  We know the hummers will be leaving us any day now - maybe
that's when we really start to look at them and marvel.  I was still working in
the gardens about 6:30PM when I went into the barn for a tool and heard soft
banging against one of the windows facing south.  It was a hummer.  I could see
she was flying up and, not finding an exit, sliding back to the sill.  I gently
put my hand around her, talking softly, and carried her outside.  My hand was
loose so I expected her to immediately escape.  But instead, she just lay there
on her side in my palm.  I could see her eye was open but otherwise she was
 motionless.  I quickly carried her to the feeder, held her up to the ports -
no response.  Oh no.  I looked around and saw the purple asters - fresh nectar
would be better.  She did not react to asters.  I did not know what to do.  We
dashed over to the petunias.  I took a pink blossom and moved it up to her
slender bill.  Little feet began to move in my hand, she raised her body
upright - and off she went!  Such an event makes one feel like celebrating!

Elaine Swanson
rural Pickett
FDL County