[wisb] ID Help, Polk County

  • From: Jeff Virant <rainbow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 11:25:12 -0500

Hi everyone,

I have very little evidence to offer as I ask for assistance in identifying a
bird(s) that has been singing beautifully on our property on Rainbow Pond this
summer. I have seen it only once sitting on top of a small white pine,
unfortunately backlit by the sun making details difficult to see. It seemed to
be about the size and shape of a Catbird (we have plenty here but it was too
light for a Catbird)) or a Mockingbird and it sings in beautiful repetitive
phrases which sound like a very musical Robin or Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  And I
insist it’s beautiful song is not just the result of the fact that I finally
obtained long-overdue hearing aids! It appeared to be light gray and indistinct
otherwise, though again it was backlit. Unfortunately for me, it is usually
fairly well hidden and high in our oak trees. Perhaps my primary question is
whether or not we actually see (hear) mockingbirds in this area or are we too
far north? I realize that I am offering little or no evidence of meaning but
would welcome comments.

Thanks and best birding,

Jeff Virant
Deer Park, WI   (Polk County)