[wisb] Huge migration this morning - Bayfield Co.

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 19:16:17 -0600

Phenomenal flight at my house near Washburn, Bayfield County, this morning.
Friends Betsy Bartelt, Tim Oksiuta, and I counted a total of 2,232 birds
between 6:30 and 11:00am. This included 262 Yellow-rumped Warblers, 105 Palm
Warblers, 303 Amer. Robins, 51 Rusty Blackbirds, 50 Cedar Waxwings, and 1,144
unidentified songbirds. Of the unidentified, 900+ were warblers, and I'd guess
80+% were Yellow-rumpeds. Birds started coming in off Lake Superior around
7:15am and continued heavy through the 10am hour. If we had foregone trail
birding and just watched the skies our totals probably would've doubled as
dozens of birds were almost constantly moving southbound overhead. Overall we
had only 8 warbler species (somehow missed Orange-crowned), with Tennessee the
only species well represented other than Yellow-rump and Palm. Sparrow flight
was nothing special - still lots of White-throated, 1 Harris's, some Lincoln's
and Swamps, and my first FOX SPARROW of the year, though I expected to see more
than one of the latter today. Still relatively few Dark-eyed Juncos too.
Today's full eBird list at

http://ebird.org/ebird/wi/view/checklist?subID=S15282674

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI