[wisb] Horicon and Lake Michigan

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:03:00 -0600

Starting at Horicon Marsh this morning, there was limited open
water.  Most of the open water was on the north side of Hwy 49 (Fond
du Lac county).  12 species of ducks were seen including impressive
numbers of Gadwalls.  A lone Great Blue Heron was near the end of the
Auto Tour (almost no open water).  100+ Tundra Swans and a lone dark
morph Rough-legged Hawk were seen along 49.
Harrington Beach, in fact all of the lake north to the Cleveland
area, had very few swimming waterfowl.  What there was mainly was in
flight and that was also quite limited.  At Harrington I did find a
Surf Scoter and 2 Horned Grebes, plus about 50 Long-tailed Ducks, the
latter way out on the lake.

Kohler/Andrae had single White-winged and Black Scoters and a Song
Sparrow.

Sheboygan had the female Harlequin Duck by the point parking lot,
also 2 adult Glaucous Gulls.  An adult and immature Great Black-
backed Gull were seen south of the harbor.  Also a Thayer's Gull was
off the parking lot.

63 species.

This was certainly pleasant weather for the first day of December, in
sharp contrast to the two previous years when we had snowstorms on
the first.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI