[wisb] Buena Vista (Portage Cty) today

  • From: Edward Keyel <dolichovespula@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 19:25:12 -0600

Hi everyone,

I went out to Buena Vista Grasslands for a few hours this afternoon to
see what I could find.  I didn't find large quantities of birds, but
got some nice, quality species.  1 Northern Shrike (my first for BV
this season), 1 Am. Kestrel, 2 Harriers (one Im/female and a Gray
Ghost), the gray ghost spooked up my only Short-eared Owl of the
evening and proceeded to interact with it in aerodynamic excellence
for a little while, 1 (maybe 2?) Great Horned Owl, and a couple Horned
Larks.  The sunset was really pretty this evening too.

I'm surprised at the lack of Rough-legs in Buena Vista so far this
season.  I've seen a few here or there over the last few weeks, but
the numbers have been very low.  Last year around this time, I easily
had more birds in one day than I've had this season.  Is anyone else
noticing this lack of numbers of Rough-legs?  I wonder if it's just
the warm weather we've been having, or if possibly the small mammal
population of Buena Vista is much lower than last year?  Any insight
would be appreciated, thanks.

-Ted Keyel
Stevens Point,
Portage Cty

PS: Ryan, if you're reading this, I really liked your Gyr flight shot.