[wisb] Horicon a.m., Montello Lake p.m.

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 21:57:02 -0500

I came back to Madison via Montello and stopped to look at the bird bounty on
the drained Montello Lake.  Wells Point Park, right next to the cemetery on Hwy
23, had a limited view of the east end of the lake, which didn't have too many
birds.  The boat launch off Lakeshore Rd. (look for the "Public Access" sign as
you head northwest on County B off 23) was much better.  My conservative
estimate was 750 Am. White Pelicans feasting on the trapped fish, with roughly
15 or 16 each of DC Cormorant, Great Egret and Great Blue Heron cleaning up on
the edges.  Also about 150 Ring-billed Gulls, Can. Geese, Mallards, Wood Ducks
and BW Teal.  No shorebirds that I could see, not even a Killdeer.  It looked
like there is a park/beach on the other shore, which might offer better viewing
in the morning.

I had enough daylight left to stop to check the pond on Harvey Rd. north of Hwy
60 in Columbia County.   In addition to a ton of Killdeer, there were quite a
few Lesser and one Greater Yellowlegs, a single BB Plover, and a couple of
flyover Am. Pipits.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI