[wisb] The Horicon a.m. part....

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 22:16:03 -0500

Haven't had the first part of a post cut off for quite a while... here's the
first paragraph:

I had to go up to Oshkosh today, so stopped briefly at Horicon Marsh on the way
up.  Sadly, I did not scope the waterfowl, as I was a bit pressed for time (had
to wait for the thick fog in Madison to clear this morning.)  That Eurasian
Wigeon may well have been right there, for all I know.  There was a single juve
Stilt Sandpiper north of the pumphouse close to the road.  On the Dodge Co.
side east of the pumphouse, there were about 10 large plovers, all but one of
which were Black-bellied, and all in basic plumage (the Golden stood next to
one for a nice size/structure/plumage comparison.)  I ran into Jeff Bahls, who
was with some outdoor writers, and he pointed out three white geese flying
around to the west.  I got them (the geese, not the writers) in the scope - one
was significantly smaller than the other two, with a much shorter
neck/head/bill projection.  However, they were so far away that I'd hesitate to
state definitively that it was a Ross's, since a hybrid is always a possibility
without a good close look at the bill.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI