[wisb] Horicon Marsh Shorebirds today/Dodge,Fond du Lac Counties

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 17:27:13 -0500

Shorebird numbers rebounded from the few that Peter Fissel reported
yesterday- at times. Two Bald Eagles and a Peregrine Falcon were working the
area after 8:30 A.M. and shorebird numbers varied from just a few, to many,
depending on where these predators were hunting.
Two juvenile Black-necked Stilts were in the main channel just east of the
pumphouse. There are only 3 later dates for this species in the state: Sept.
9, and Oct. 10-11, so if we see any after tomorrow a rare bird reporting
form will be necessary for our seasonal report.
Three Buff-breasted Sandpipers were on the north side of STH 49 about .1
mile east of the historical marker. These sandpipers were only about 40
yards from the road for a few minutes which made for a much better sighting
than the one I had at Wind Lake sod farms yesterday, a single bird which was
so far out that I needed Rick Fare to find it for me! Thanks, Rick. The pond
near the historical marker on the north side of 49 is dry except for a small
puddle.
Three American Golden-Plovers were present and two were juveniles. The
juveniles look a lot like juvenile Black-bellied Plovers and I was happy to
see them fly, which confirmed the ID that I had come up with while they were
foraging.
I was working on my probable personal first-of-year Long-billed Dowitcher
when the Peregrine came through. It had a very dark gray breast, unmarked
tertials, and a very long bill, but it was distant, and while I was trying
to see the scapular edging to determine if it was a juvenile, the Peregrine
sent it flying.
Baird's Sandpipers were fairly numerous, at times outnumbering the
Pectorals. Least and Semipalmated Sandpiper numbers were way down. Other
shorebirds were Killdeer, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, and 2 Wilson's
Snipe. As best I could tell, Stilt Sandpipers, Red-necked Phalaropes, and
the Hudsonian Godwit are gone.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County