[wisb] Gyrfalcon & Snowy Owl - Ashland

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:14:53 -0700

We're in the midst of our Ashland CBC today.  Dick Verch and I found the
GYRFALCON on the oredock from 7:30-8:00 am.  This is the first time I've looked
for the bird since my last positive report on Dec 7.  At 9:00 am the bird was
on the ice way, way out on Chequamegon Bay toward Washburn and was still
present there as of 12:30 pm, viewable a long way out from Bono Creek Boat
Launch between Ashland and Washburn.

Dick and I also found a SNOWY OWL on the ice far out from the oredock.  This
was our first of the season on Chequamegon Bay.  Looked like a female-type with
lots of gray barring.

Nick Anich will post our full CBC wrap-up later today.  Winter finches are
lacking thus far...

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady