[wisb] Burlington CBC Highlights

  • From: Maureen Gross <cygnusbuccinator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WisBirdNet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:39:36 -0600

Hi All,
This season's count had some surprises.  Our team had 55 species and
6,305 individuals despite the dense fog and heavy mist at times.  Eric
Howe and Rick Fare managed to find an amazing 51 species!  Nick Mimier
while working alone uncovered 28 species.  There were two species that
were unexpected, a Black-crowned Night Heron and an American Pipit.

Other species of note:

Wood Duck
Am. Black Duck
Lesser Scaup
Common Goldeneye
Ruddy Duck
Ring-necked Pheasant
Great Blue Heron
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Rough-legged Hawk
Am. Kestrel
Am. Coot
Greater Black-backed Gull
E. Screech Owl
Short-eared Owl  (CW)
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker (CW)
Northern Shrike
Brown Creeper
Eastern Bluebird
Cedar Waxwing
Fox Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Lapland Longspur
Snow Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Brown-headed Blackbird

The poor weather conditions did not prevent an excellent count day.
Many thanks to Eric Howe for coaching me in coordinating a Christmas
Bird Count.

Maureen Gross
Burlington CBC coordinator
Mukwonago, Waukesha County