[wisb] Eagle migration - Crawford Co.

  • From: "Dennis Kirschbaum" <kad9801@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:52:36 -0600

It appears that the spring eagle migration has started.  The normal peak spring
population is near the middle of March.  However our local winter population of
about 50 eagles seems to have increased.  Starting last week over 100 eagles
were roosting and feeding in St. Feriole Slough from the Campion Boat Landing
north to the Prairie du Chien Marina.  Today eagles seem to be everywhere.
Total numbers seen today in and around Prairie du Chien exceeds 200 birds.
Many are flying north while others are perched in trees or standing on the ice
adjacent to open water.  With our Eagle Day event in Prairie du Chien this
Saturdya we  should have birds present.  Maybe this early movement is another
sign of an early spring.

Dennis and Alice Kirschbaum
1505 E. Parrish St
Prairie du Chien, Wi 53821