[wisb] Update on GBBC

  • From: Cutright.Noel <Noel.Cutright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:58:17 +0000

Thanks so much for your participation throughout the GBBC Weekend, and the
weather cooperated allowing folks to get out and about. It is has been an
interesting count thus far.

As of noon today, 74,868 checklists have been received, compared to 64,449 at
this time last year. Participants have reported 594 different species and over
10.5 million individual birds. Encouragingly, European Starling has fallen from
the #1 spot as the most commonly reported bird and is now in 5th behind Snow
Goose, Red-winged Blackbird, Canada Goose, and Common Grackle. Overall, it
should prove to be a record-breaking year in terms of participation and birds
counted. As expected, the Snowy Owl has been amazing this year-420 of them so
far from as far south as Kansas and Missouri.  There have been other
interesting occurrences-Common Redpolls in Texas, Common Murres in Connecticut,
and a Calliope Hummingbird in Indiana.

In Wisconsin , we are far past the previous species count of 123 set in 2010.
We'll just have to wait to see how high we'll be in the 130s once all
checklists have been entered.  Please remember that you only have until March
5th to submit your reports.

Thanks for your participation, but I am getting a little bored over validating
all of the early Sandhill Crane records.  Noel Cutright, Ozaukee County