[wisb] Devil's Lake SP

  • From: Cynthia Bridge <cynthiabridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 18:51:31 -0600

My husband and I hiked Balanced Rock to East Bluff to CCC to Grotto
trail in search of a potential wintering Townsend's Solitaire. We got
skunked on the Solitaire, but did find a CAROLINA WREN on our descent
down the bluff on the CCC trail. Otherwise bird activity was as
expected for this time of year, chickadees, wb nuthatches, downy and
hairy woodpeckers, am goldfinch, blue jays, crows and a flock of 25+
cedar waxwings. We did not have time to scope the lake, but did make
out a large flock of Mallards and a single Common Merganser with our
binocs. All in all it was a nice day to get in a hike on the bluffs
before the winter storms arrive.

Looking forward to gobs of snow,

Cynthia Bridge
Fort Atkinson, Jefferson County, WI