[wisb] Common Eider--Superior

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 18:46:28 -0600

For those of us that are only on this bird net, I received a call from Robbye
Johnson this afternoon.  While a few of them were taking the Superior CBC they
checked Wisconsin Pt in the fog.  To their surprise as they walked along the
wall for the harbor entrance to Superior, they noticed a large duck---a female
Common Eider!  There has been one to two in the Duluth area since mid-November
but this is the first time it has been seen in Wisconsin.  Great find and they
got photos of it, in the fog.
As she indicated it is moving around so the chances of relocating it are not
that good, but it is some thing to keep in mind.  The locals will probably be
rechecking for it in upcoming days, providing the weather cooperates.  Robbye
commented that the road is in bad shape, especially where the dump trucks are
hauling the clay.  Also there are plans to redo the entire road next
year---hopefully by Jaegerfest we will not recognize the good road!
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI