[wisb] Dodge Co. Juneau area SNOWY OWL, MERLIN

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 17:13:54 -0600

After checking regularly for the past several weeks I finally found a snowy
owl on S. Grove Rd. SE of Juneau. It was in the same field I first saw one
in that area last winter. It is a very heavily, darkly barred bird, so am
thinking immature. I had forgotten my camera at home this morning so I just
sat and enjoyed watching for several minutes. I then drove on and about a
half mile further I saw a bird perched on the powerline next to the road.
My first thought was kestrel as I see them in that area frequently, but as
I drove closer I thought it appeared just a bit big for a kestrel. I wanted
to get a good look at this bird so I pulled over before I got too close.
First got it in the bins and my suspicions were raised. Then got the scope
on it and could plainly see no face pattern or  coloration of a kestrel. It
was indeed a merlin. After viewing for a minute or two I drove by slowly,
went down the road a ways, turned around and very slowly approached. It
stayed perched and allowed me to pull up right next to it. I had great
views of the bird and now I was really kicking myself for forgetting the
camera. Oh well, a snowy owl and a merlin a half mile apart was pretty
special, with or without camera.
 Dave Schrab
 Dodge Co.