[wisb] Brown County Willets

  • From: <jmotquin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birders Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 8:11:08 -0500

On Thursday evening I found a flock of approximately 30 greater and lesser
yellowlegs at my parents house in Hobart (west side of Green Bay).  A pectoral
sandpiper was also present.  As I tried to ease around the barn to get a closer
look at the turkeys in the 'back forty,' I unintentionally flushed the flock.
Two of the birds had the distinctive white and black wing striping of WILLETS!

This morning I found a single solitary sandpiper and a semipalmated sandpiper
in another small field pothole.  I was amazed at a nearby killdeer's behavior
and chased off both sandpipers.  New one for me.  Also watched two pairs of
sandhill cranes copulate.  FOY yellow and nashville warblers flew in last
night. Quite a fun and varied three days for farm fields which typically hold
little ecological significance from an ecological and habitat standpoint.

Jon Motquin
Freedom, WI

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.